also traded as Bull, Maid's Head
Closed between 1937 and 1969?
grid reference TM 420 903
It can be seen (though it's not named) on this OS town plan of 1884.
The Angel was an old coaching inn, dating back to the 16th century.
The pub appears on the 1927 OS map but has disappeared by the 1969 sheet, so presumably closed between those dates.
Recorded in 1638 as the Maid's Head and in 1736 as the Bull. By 1818 it had become the Angel. It may also have been the Black Bull
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, March 28th 1752***, to A Cock Match at the Angel Inn, Beccles...Wm. Smith.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 18 Sep 1756 states :
John Buller is now removing from the White Horse in the Market-Place, Halesworth to the Angel Inn in Beccles.Ipswich Journal, September 18th 1756***
To be lett, the Angel in Beccles, with Stabling and good Cellars. Enquire of Robert Le Grys of Beccles.Ipswich Journal, October 22nd 1757***
To be sold by auction…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)