grid reference TL 853 640Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 25/01/2020
Bury St Edmunds Fountain
also traded as as: Heart And Hand, Heart In Handhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened 1748 circa
80 Whiting St
The Fountain has been reported at 81 Whiting Street (in 1869-79) and at 80 Whiting Street (by 1888).
The building dates from the late 18th or early 19th century. It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.