grid reference TL 852 651Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Bury St Edmunds Refreshment rooms
also traded as as: Great Eastern refreshment rooms, London & North Eastern Railway refreshment rooms, Railway Hotel?historical closure era: late 20th century
This was a conversion from the original Station master's house, carried out during the early 1990s. The pub lasted for only a couple of years. The building was a part of the original station complex which was designed by Sancton Wood - architect and surveyor (1816-1866).
Opened as a terminus from Ipswich in November 1847; until Newmarket was completed in 1849. It was owned by Eastern Union Railway EUR - then GER.
Not to be confused with the Railway Hotel (formerly the Linden Tree).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The GER was formed in 1862 by amalgamation of the Eastern Counties Railway with smaller railways: the Norfolk Railway, the Eastern Union Railway, the Newmarket and Chesterford Railway, the East Norfolk Railway, the Harwich Railway, the East Anglian Railway and the East Suffolk Railway among others.