Oulton Blue Boar
Oulton Blue Boar
formerly Boar Inn
Real Ale is sold here.
28 Oulton St, NR32 3BB
grid reference TM 526 950
gastropub, opened 1600
Restaurant with separate bar in former coaching inn that has been under new management since April 2019. Winter opening hours in effect from September are usually 12-3 & 6-10.30 Tue-Fri, 12-10.30 Sat, 12-9 Sun and closed Mon with food hours unchanged.
Some parts of the building date back to the late 18th century, the front part is from the 19th.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome: in bar and garden only
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
Railway station about 1.3 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1904 (interactive map)
To be sold, the Blue Boar at Oulton, with a double Cottage, Barn, Stable and 5 Acres, 3 Roods and 23 Perches of Arable and Pasture Land thereto belonging, in the Occupation of Robert Lillystone and his Under-Tenants at the yearly Rent of £17.Ipswich Journal, April 16th 1768***
Auction for The Blue Boar, Oulton.....being a good road house consisting of 2 parlours, kitchen and a good cellar and several other useful rooms, barn and double stable with other necessary buildings, together with about 3 acres, more or less,garden ground, well planted with choice fruit trees in the occupation of Mr HENRY ELY, rent £3 per annum, under a lease to T.FARR Esq, Beccles of which 11 years are unexpired.Ipswich Journal, January 11th 1800**…
The blue boar was a heraldic sign for the Earl of Oxford a leading supporter of the Lancastrians who defeated and killed Richard III at Bosworth in 1495 - Henry VII became king - Richards emblem was a white boar forcing some pub signs to be hastily repainted.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)