Sudbury Pied Cow
Sudbury Pied Cow
also traded as Harlequin, Bear
last owner/operator: Punch
12 King St, CO10 2EB
grid reference TL 875 413
The building probably dates from the 17th century, but has been much altered. It has been converted into several retail units, having stood empty for several years.
Since about the end of 2015, a small bar called the Comfortable Cow has been established in one part of the building.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
To be sold, the Bear, in Sudbury, with the Barns, Stables and Buildings thereto belonging, as the same are now in the Occupation of Mr. Thomas Loveday, William Bloom and Tho. Kingsbury.Ipswich Journal, July 28th 1764***
To be let, with immediate possession, in the populous and very flourishing town of Sudbury, the Inn called the Bear, with large yard, stables, and every convenience for the public business, lately put through repair and now in full trade. The house has the most desirable advantage of commanding the entrance from Colchester and Ipswich, and has many villages in its immediate neighbourhood…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(**** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Old pictures from http://www.foxearth.org.uk
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.