Leavenheath

app
close

Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now reopened. The rest of our pubs will be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Introduction

Establishment(s) understood to have reopened.

Please tell us if you know of any pubs ready to reopen when outdoors service is permitted that we don't list here.

Leavenheath is a relatively new parish, set in the heart of Constable country. In 1952 local people, primarily the farming community, decided they would create a civil parish of Leavenheath and establish a parish council, using the earlier established ecclesiastical boundaries. The parish was carved out from parts of the adjacent parishes of Assington, Nayland, Polstead and Stoke-by-Nayland.

The village sign was erected in 2002 to celebrate the parish's 50th anniversary.

The area appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Smatebridge".

The church (St Matthew) was erected in 1835 with a register dating from 1863.

Honey Tye is a small settlement to the south of the main village, close to Nayland.

Gallery

thumbnailthumbnailthumbnail

History

The 1851 census lists John Boutell, Farmer & Beer House, Head/Married/72/born Nayland.

The 1855 White's Directory lists Edward Eppleford and Johnathan Watts (the Plough?) as beer house keepers.

X