grid reference TL 852 638Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 18/02/2019
Bury St Edmunds Saracen's Head
also traded as as: Great Headhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
60-65 Guildhall St
The building dates from the early 16th century, though the façade is 19th century. The building now houses the Hunter Club, a popular live music venue.
The Saracen's Head is listed at 61 Guildhall Street in 1855. The 1881 census lists 3 separate premises here, with a brewer at 63, a cooper at 64 and a publican (Great Head) at 65.
A Victorian brewery is also listed here from 1864 until 1901.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.